After a tough weekend last time out at Oulton Park, Sandy and I were looking forward to getting back in the car for Round 5 of British GT at Silverstone.

Friday testing went really well – the car was always up at the sharp end on the time sheets and was great to drive.

Qualifying on Saturday was dry and we were eager to see what we could do after a successful couple of test sessions in the morning. Sandy went out first and put in a blistering lap that put him almost a second clear of the 2nd place, which took the pressure of me a bit and I was able to put in a half decent lap to put us pole by one second.

The rain came for Sunday which we were also feeling quite good about as we knew the car was fast in the wet, with Sandy starting the race.

It was nice to have no cars in front of us for a change and Sandy got a good start, but dropped to 3rd, then after a few laps started to find his feet in the tricky conditions, managing to get back up to 2nd before the pit stop.

He pitted under safety car and I got in, but I only did twenty minutes in the car before being called in again, still under the safety car, handing the McLaren back to Sandy.

We were trying to get one of our three mandatory pit stops out of the way without losing too much time – it didn’t quite work but we were still in the mix, then when the safety car came in we were sitting quite far down but others still had to make a pit stop.

Before we could make any progress though, Sandy started to complain about losing power and despite trying his best to manage the problem he was losing about four seconds per lap to the leaders.

We pitted with one hour to go and changed to slicks as the track was drying rapidly – I also completely restarted the car once I got in, which It worked as the car was no longer under-powered.

I got my head down and tried to make up time in the tricky conditions, it was just at the cross over point between wets and slicks so there were still damp patches which made it somewhat challenging, but I put some good laps in and was fastest for a while, until the car started to lose power again.

Trying to manage the problem as best I could, I kept the car in 5th place until the very last lap when it decided it had had enough and completely died, causing us to score a DNF.

Although the final result was not what we wanted, there are a lot of positives to take away from the weekend and we’re ready to show everyone what we can do in Belgium at Spa-Francorchamps in a few weeks time.

Related Posts